Security Officer Training

Working as a Security Officer in the United Kingdom requires you to hold a valid SIA Licence. To apply for a license you need to have attended, and passed, the Level 2 Award for Security Officers in the Private Security Industry.

Working as a Security Officer is an exciting and varied role that can take you to many different places and see you holding many different responsibilities. The role of any Security Officer, centres around the protection of assets, which can take a variety of forms, and there are many different tools that a Security Officer may use to complete their task.

As a licensed Security Officer, you may find yourself working as

  • Retail Security Guard
  • Hotel Guard
  • Night Watchman
  • Car Park Officer
  • Corporate Security Officer
  • Building Site Security (with CSCS card)
  • And many many more…

To be a Security Officer you will need to look and act professional at all times, especially as you will be one of the first people your client’s customers come in to contact with, and you will be representing their brand.

Will I be given a Uniform and PPE?

Almost all Security Officers are employed by a company, either as part of a Security contract for another client, or directly by the organisation who require the Security. In either case, as you are employed you will likely be given a uniform and your employer would have carried out a full Risk Assessment of your duties and identified if PPE is required. If it is, they should supply it, or support you in obtaining it.

Can I work in Pubs and Clubs?

No. In order to work at any location which is subject to licensing conditions (Under the Licensing Act 2003), you must hold a Door Supervisor License.

Your Instructor, Steve, has worked for some of the biggest retailers in the country as a Retail Loss Prevention Manager, working his way up from CCTV Operator. He has first-hand experience in securing premises and protecting people, writing and enforcing policy, designing security infrastructure and managing guards.

My Reading and Writing isn’t very good, can I still be a Security Guard?

We believe there is a place for everybody in the security industry, that may not be in a role that involves a lot of report writing, and ways of working can be adapted. It’s important to understand though, that communication, in all forms, is essential, so the ability to Speak and Write in good English will always be a part of the role.

I’m not very fit? I can’t even do a push up! Can I still be a Security Officer?

This isn’t the military, so high levels of fitness aren’t what we are looking for, but equally long periods on your feet, lots of walking and some situations that will spike your heart rate may call for some level of health. If you get out of breath getting off the sofa, then maybe consider having a look at your health while you prepare to train with us. We can help with that too!

Do I need to do First Aid Training if I already have a valid certificate

The awarding organisation and the SIA say that your First Aid Qualification should be from an RCF recognised awarding body and have at least 12 months before expiry.

However, even if you fit within that category, it makes sense to do it with us because you have to renew your First Aid certificate every 3 years the same as your SIA license. Also, it’s good to update skills as often as possible.

I don’t want to do First Aid

Sorry, that means you won’t ever work in the Security Industry. It is a requirement that all learners have a valid, Level 3 First Aid Certificate prior to starting the course.

What else do I need to do before the course?

You will need to complete two anti terrorism e-learning courses, a Workbook and an English assessment. But, don’t worry, we will support you to do all of that before you get to the first day.